Within every profession, people are expected to dress in a manner that reflects their job. White County Middle School believes students should dress in a manner that reflects a respect for their job of being good students and has implemented the following dress code to maintain a positive educational environment. Please note the intent is not to repress freedom of expression but to foster a school climate that clearly communicates that White County Middle School students take their education seriously. Therefore, the dress code seeks to avoid manners of dress that would be objectionable in most places of employment.
Appropriate Clothing for WCMS
1. Shirts should be crew or v-neck, polo, or button-style shirts (all with sleeves) that cover the upper body and are long enough to be tucked into pants. Shirts for women may not expose any part of the breast.
2. Pants, skirts, and shorts should not have holes that expose skin more than 3 inches above the TOP OF THE KNEE CAP, and may not have writing in inappropriate places, excluding Warrior Wear. All pants, skirts and shorts must be worn at the waist. Skirts and shorts should be no shorter than 3 inches above the TOP OF THE KNEE CAP.
3. Shoes must be worn at all times.
4. Leggings, bike shorts, and spandex may only be worn when accompanied by an over garment that meets dress code. (See #2).
5. Physical Education teachers will set dress code guidelines for participation in P.E. classes.
1. Baggy clothing, excessively large clothes, or pajama clothing.
2. Clothing with graphics or lettering that names, shows, or implies any alcoholic beverage, tobacco products or illegal drugs.
3. Clothing that is sexually suggestive or has sexually suggestive lettering, graphics or pictures.
4. Clothing with any graphics or lettering that depicts or implies violence or weapons; that shows or implies blood, and death; that promotes hatred of any person or people, supports any illegal activity; or promotes racial discrimination (expressed or implied)
5. Head coverings in the building for boys and girls of any kind including hats and bandanas.
6. “Heely” tennis shoes.
7. Chains or studded accessories (necklaces, bracelets, etc.).
8. Fish hooks.
Failure to Comply
1. Students will be given the option of changing into acceptable clothes that they have with them; or
2. Students may contact parents/guardians to request parents/guardians bring acceptable clothes and change; or
3. Students will be provided clothing to be worn for the reminder of the school day; or
4. Students will be placed in ISS for the remainder of the school day.
5. Parents of repeat dress code offenders will be notified.
6. School wide dress code checks will take place weekly.